- If you replace the needle/catheter before taking a premeal bolus it will be flushed clean from possible tissue rests by the larger volume of fluid.
- Avoid replacing your infusion set before bedtime as you will need to be awake for a couple of hours to see that it functions properly.
- Start by washing your hands with soap and water.
- Disinfect a skin area that is a little larger than the adhesive your are going to apply. Use chlorhexidine in alcohol or similar disinfectant. Use this for hand-washing as well if you have problems with skin infections.
- Be careful not to touch the sterile needle.
- Pinch a two-finger skin fold and insert the needle at a 45 angle.
- Apply the adhesive carefully. If it sticks unevenly don’t try to move it. There is a considerable risk of removing the needle at the same time if you try to move the adhesive.
- Withdraw the old needle after the insertion of the new one. Pull the adhesive from the side where the tip of the needle/catheter is located and it will come off more easily.